Skip to main content

The Creative Mama

Being an oral health therapist, my brain is wired to science, clinical and I find things are in black and white. Sometimes that can be a negative thing, sometimes it is positive. I work pretty hard so I thought it was time to do something for me. Something that I wouldn't normally do. Something at night time that no children were invited to. After scrolling through Instagram I came across Triangle House and The Exploring Creativity Workshop.

I contacted the lovely Caragh from Triangle House to find out a bit more about the workshop. Caragh answered all of my questions which was just fantastic! I decided to invite a good friend of mine, Kate, from Exult Design who is extremely creative! Perfect girls night out.

We turned up at Triangle House and were greeted by the wonderful Pauline and ushered upstairs for delicious snacks and drinks. It was a lovely way to mingle and chat to Caragh, Pauline and other people who were also there for the workshop. We started the workshop with thinking about how each of our brains think. As expected, mine and Kate's answered were very different! It was a great way to get us thinking about what it means to be creative.
We then paired up and given an envelope. I am not great with surprises, so I was curious! Inside was newspaper, paper clips and rubber bands. Task-make the strongest and tallest tower you can. I really had to think about this, and I mean really think! This is not how my brain normally thinks. But I was intrigued in how to build this. We got there in the end, Kate was a great teacher. I found that once I got started I forgot about all my self doubt on my so called lack of creativity.

The next challenge was more envelopes, this time we had different items in the envelopes with instructions. I had to make a forest.....with construction paper and a stapler? My brain first went-are you kidding me? But once I got started, I was making the greatest little forest with folded paper.

In between these challenges we had great conversations about what is creativity. By the end of the evening after the fun challenges and wonderful conversations, my thoughts on creativity had changed. I thought to be "creative" you had to be able to draw or paint. It's not true, to be creative now for means to think outside the square, question your thoughts and to have a go at something new.
I absolutely loved that there was so much discussion going on with some amazing women around the table that really made me think and stretch my thoughts. I also loved that for the whole time, I didn't think about my children, chores that needed to be done, work etc. I was delving into something purely for me! I embraced being in the moment and have applied some of the things I have learnt about my self from this workshop in my home and work life.

I would highly recommend this course to so many people, from scientific thinkers like myself to those people who paint and draw! I can't wait to sign up for another one of the amazing workshops that Triangle House run. I have my eye on the jewelry making ones!

Love Leah xoxo

Find mamatuppa on Instagram
Find mamatuppa on Twitter 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sooooooo...what is MamaTuppa you ask?

I am an oral health therapist, have a fabulous and supportive husband with 2 adorable kids and a miniature schnauzer called Olive. We live in the beautiful city of Brisbane, Queensland and I am really passionate about good food and teaching our kids about how to prepare, cook and store healthy foods. I have loved Tupperware for as long as I can remember so these things just go hand in hand to help us in the quest for good health. "But why start MamaTuppa and doesn't everyone just eat like we do?" My darling husband says to me over dinner of colorful salad and chicken. I stared at him! Literally just stared at him. He works in accounting so is pretty sheltered from poor dietary choices as he just eats what ever is in the fridge that I have bought. I had to stop, process what he said and think about my response before I spoke. I work in an industry plagued by the side effects of poor nutrition and poor oral hygiene habits. Combine these habits and I, unfortunately will be

Taking time out as a Mama

Being on holidays with my family has made me reflect on how important it is to nourish this Mama's mind and body. I think we get caught up in our hectic lifestyle which for us can be pretty full on. Sometimes it gets to Sunday  night and my husband, Flip, and I look at each other and say "ummmm....where has that weekend gone?" Then it's back to work on Monday  and the cycle starts all over again. We are in a lovely beach house in Burrum Heads (love AirBnB!) and I am enjoying the simple pleasures with my family. Walking over to the beach on the hunt for solider crabs, going out boating and seeing the excitement on the kids faces, playing board games as well as being able to do one of my all time favorite pastimes which consists of sitting, reading cookbooks and drinking numerous pots of tea. You know it's a great beach house rental when they have a proper teapot as well as a MokaPot for delicious coffee. Tea in a proper teapot, A Year at Avoca Cookbook and a D