Skip to main content

It Takes a Village to Help Mama to Raise a Baby


Since having babies, it has really hit home the phrase, "it takes a village to raise a baby". I am not going to lie, kids are full and hard work. I bet all other mamas and papas out there agree with me when I say that. Five years ago, I used to think I was tired after working full time and socializing. That sort of tired is nothing compared to working full time, socializing AND looking after very active 2 and 4 year olds! Being a mama is fabulous, but exhausting! 
My First Mothers Days Classic Fun Run  - Exhausting but fabulous!
 Raising these babies requires lots of help, love and support. Phillip and I both work full time and we could not raise these babies and work full time with our wonderful village around us. In February we took the plunge after much deliberation and decided to have an Au pair join us. We had no idea what we were doing, no idea on au pair manuals and thank goodness our first gorgeous big girl (as they are affectionately known as by our 2 babies) had low expectations as well! 

When you work full time and love your job, but have kids it is a real dilemma on what to do. I believe you can have it all, you just cant have it all at the same time. This is when having that village around you helps so much. Terri from Scotland kept our babies alive and the house was still standing (our only 2 expectations of an Au pair!) and our babies thrived with all of the outings that they went on. I swear our kids have seen more of Brisbane than Phillip and I have! 

Adventures with Terri
Since seeing the babies thrive with having an Au pair, we have no fully embraced the experience and having a 5th person is now a permanent member of our family. Mollie joined us from England after Terri and she got to experience a full on Queensland Summer with temperatures reaching temperatures above 40oC. Thank goodness we are lucky enough to have a pool as that is where she helped to teach the kids to swim.

Mol with Tate and Ivy
Mollie spent a beautiful 8 months with us when Laura from Germany arrived. Our babies can now say good morning and good night in German and Laura has been teaching the babies where everyone's families are from with the globe. We can not wait for Laura's parents to come and join us in June so we can continue practicing our terrible German, eat pork knuckles and eat sauerkraut!

With Mol and Laura 
Our extended international family continues to grow and we are so lucky to have had such amazing experiences and learn so much about other cultures. We are madly saving our pennies so we can go to German Christmas markets, build snowmen in Scotland and see castles with ghosts in England.

With out these gorgeous big girls our life would be mayhem and a logistical nightmare. This experience allows me to continue to love my job, be the best oral health therapist I can be but also be the best mama and role model for my kids that I can be.

Love Leah xo

MamaTuppa on Instagram

MamaTuppa on Twitter


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Creative Mama

Being an oral health therapist, my brain is wired to science, clinical and I find things are in black and white. Sometimes that can be a negative thing, sometimes it is positive.  I work pretty hard so I thought it was time to do something for me. Something that I wouldn't normally do. Something at night time that no children were invited to. After scrolling through Instagram I came across Triangle House and The Exploring Creativity Workshop. I contacted the lovely Caragh from Triangle House to find out a bit more about the workshop. Caragh answered all of my questions which was just fantastic! I decided to invite a good friend of mine, Kate, from Exult Design who is extremely creative! Perfect girls night out. We turned up at Triangle House and were greeted by the wonderful Pauline and ushered upstairs for delicious snacks and drinks. It was a lovely way to mingle and chat to Caragh, Pauline and other people who were also there for the workshop.  We started the workshop wi

Sooooooo...what is MamaTuppa you ask?

I am an oral health therapist, have a fabulous and supportive husband with 2 adorable kids and a miniature schnauzer called Olive. We live in the beautiful city of Brisbane, Queensland and I am really passionate about good food and teaching our kids about how to prepare, cook and store healthy foods. I have loved Tupperware for as long as I can remember so these things just go hand in hand to help us in the quest for good health. "But why start MamaTuppa and doesn't everyone just eat like we do?" My darling husband says to me over dinner of colorful salad and chicken. I stared at him! Literally just stared at him. He works in accounting so is pretty sheltered from poor dietary choices as he just eats what ever is in the fridge that I have bought. I had to stop, process what he said and think about my response before I spoke. I work in an industry plagued by the side effects of poor nutrition and poor oral hygiene habits. Combine these habits and I, unfortunately will be

Lessons This Mama Learnt During The BigWet in Queensland

After being home for a week it made me think about our so called family beach holiday! We spent the week on glued to the television watching one of Queensland's natural disasters unfold before our eyes.  Watching the rain pour down As the days went on, Cyclone Debbie was wreaking havoc across Queensland and Northern NSW. We couldn't believe what was occurring. Literally could believe it. As this week has unfolded, Rockhampton's Fitzroy River was rising. It was just heartbreaking to watch. Doing vegetables to roast in a BBQ as we had no power on holidays As the week progressed, I just kept thinking how lucky we were to have each other, be in a house that is standing,with no flood water swirling through. Lots of cold cups of tea to be had due to no power, but at least we had clean running water Being back home, as my 4 year daughter and 2 year old son were getting cranky about who pressed the dishwasher buttons, I sat back and reflected....we are beyond l